I'm going to take it slowly, a little randomly. Which is the way I usually like to do things anyhow. Since there's been much talk about food, let's keep the topic flowing!
Here's a little recipe for a dish I fell in love with the first time I tried it. Actually, it was love at first sight since the words alone made me salivate* : Asparagus with garlic and toasted almonds.
* that's a lie. I do not salivate at the thought of food if it contains veggies (I ain't a hater. Simply not a fan). But I said so because I wanted to make a big statement. But also because the dish deserves it! Oh and because I love garlic. And toasted almonds.
The recipe is from MediterrAsian.com, which means it's healthy, delicious and easy to make! Oh, and pretty too! You can serve it as a side dish or even as a cold salad.
Asparagus with garlic and toasted almonds
- ¼ cup raw flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic—minced (crushed)
- 12 asparagus spears—woody ends removed
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- TOAST the almonds lightly in a frying pan until golden.
- REMOVE and set aside.
- HEAT 1½ tablespoons of olive oil in the frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 3 minutes.
- ADD the garlic, asparagus, salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- ADD the wine, cover the pan, and cook for 4 minutes.
- MIX through the toasted almonds and serve on a plate drizzled with the remaining half tablespoon of olive oil.
You don't have to be a fan of asparagus to enjoy this recipe! With the garlic and almonds, you might just become one ;-)